Concept Design

This forum is for all posts regarding my next RPG which will be online based. Post questions, bugs, and get support help here.
Issa
Issa
Issa

Concept Design

Post by Issa »

So um yea, my MMORPG which I really want to make someday! Yea after CF2K5 and DM2exp!!! LOL. Anyway I started this forum to get some feedback on what it could be about. It will feature the DM2 engine, 2d style map. I am thinking like Adventure Quest (if you ever played it) but a 2d final fantasy version.

Concept:

Create an MMORPG that will allow up to 100 players play on a server at one time coded in C# or VB.NET.

Structure:

All files will be in a folder such as /game/, all saved files will be named 1.dat which will be the ID of the player. It will contain an encrypted file with of the players stats.

Maps will be in a folder such as /map/

Enemies will be a folder such as /monsters/

And so on.

How its done:

Player will log in with a client with a user and password. It will download their character. They log into a world. Then they play. Game will save their character each time they defeat a monster and stuff.

Difficulties:

Obviously this will take tons of bandwith against my server and will cost a lot of money if a lot of people start playing. Perhaps a limit for free accounts and for people who pay they are able to play forever for a yearly fee of like $5 or something.

Another downside is security, this will be so easy to hack. Anybody can just user a ip/tcp logger and see the username and passwords being sent out.

I will create a mini concept design of this in VB.NET to see how its done. I will make a small map, log in process, and a few monsters. This will be a test to see how it works.
Eco Master

Post by Eco Master »

Sounds nice. Go for it.
"OMG!! I'm gonna win! *is killed by a random person* What the- GRRR!-me playing Dynasty Warriors 5
Issa
Issa
Issa

Post by Issa »

I just wanted to let everybody know I started the concept design and it worked. I wrote a program to create a user, save it on my server, then you can log on to retrieve the info. It was way easier than I thought! If I wanted I could have made a map and just save the coordinates in the file. So yes, an MMORPG can be done! Next step is to decide how its gonna work, will it be web based, will there be a client, will the data be client side or will everything be web based. I am going for a client version where after you log in, it downloads new updates for you.
Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction.

--Ronald Reagan